Top 10 Tips to help keep skin beautiful and radiant during winter
As a plastic surgeon who believes in a holistic approach to beauty, I submit that healthy skin responds best to the needle or the scalpel, and is a sign of wellness. I recommend these top ten tips to help keep skin beautiful and radiant during winter:
1. Exfoliate gently twice per week;
2. Change moisturizer to a thicker one and consider adding 2-3 drops of a refined facial or an essential oil;
3. Use a humidifier in your bedroom and/or the room(s) in which you spend the most time;
4. Use lip balm;
5. Avoid hot water on the skin—it may be drying and may increase redness;
6. Hydrate internally by eating water-rich foods that stay in your body longer as well as simply drink more water (1.5-2 liters per day). Try (organic) vegetables like lettuce, cauliflower, and spinach, and (organic) fruit such as oranges and grapefruit;
7. Minimize stress and manage it frequently - to help reduce signs of premature aging on skin;
8. For diets deficient in whole nutrition, add supplements to help hydrate internally: hyaluronic acid (HA), omega-3 fatty acids; add selenium and zinc to support the healthy production of collagen and elastin. Take probiotics to support gut health and microbiome, and vitamins to support immune system: vitamins B12, C, D, and E.
9. Maintain a consistent exercise routine to help keep circulation flowing to deliver oxygen and nutrients throughout the body;
10. Tone down the toxins. Particularly if you have eczema, dermatitis, or psoriasis, you have to avoid allergens and irritants that may trigger a flare up. Winter skin is more fragile, so avoid irritating fabrics and chemicals, and instead use mild cleansers and moisturizers designed for sensitive skin, if any at all.